Franca, on the left, with her two sisters and her father (Photo courtesy of Franca Bannerman)

Thanks to a COMITES SF-organized event, Italians and Italian-Americans in San Francisco will be able to commemorate the end of World War II and Italy’s liberation from the Nazis on Tuesday, April 25. 

Il Giorno della Liberazione was the peak of the partigiani movement, born in 1943, gathering all Italian anti-Fascist activists from different backgrounds – including workers, farmers, students – fighting against both the Fascist regime and the Nazi occupation. That day in the spring of 1945, the National Liberation Committee of Upper Italy (CLNAI), a political organization representing the Italian resistance, announced a popular uprising and general strike against the Nazi occupation and Fascist regime. The capture and death of Benito Mussolini became the symbol of the end of dark times, as many in Northern Italy were set free: Bologna first, then Milan, followed by Turin and Venice. The following year, on April 22, the Italian government established that April 25 would become a national holiday. 

Paola Tonelli and Sonia Alioto, the COMITES representatives leading the Comunità e Tradizioni Italiane and Impresa e Turismo groups, shared more about the memories the day brings: “This is a very important event for Italy. It marks the end of the war, starting in Turin and Milan and continuing in the rest of the country. It was a turbulent moment in our history, characterized by the conflict between fascists and partisans but also by moments of great humanity.” The event in San Francisco will involve some North Beach restaurants with special menus for the night. “These restaurant owners want to show their support to the Italian community and COMITES; we welcome everyone to come and commemorate this day with us,” they continued. You can find more information on the COMITES website at

The Club Fugazi is the venue hosting a discussion about the 1945 events, with testimonials ready to bring their own stories on stage. Among them, Franca Bannerman, then a 14-year-old girl, who witnessed the collapse of Fascism and the country’s liberation. Franca, who lives in San Francisco, was born on June 9th, 1929, in Marino, a small town close to Rome. Her father was an Italian from Egypt, and her mom was from Siena. They moved to Italy before Mussolini came into power, and her dad had founded his own bank. When the regime started, he moved all the small banks into a bigger one. In the end, as an Italian patriot willing to fight against Fascism, he had no choice but to return to Egypt. They had four children: Orietta, Renata, Michele, and Franca. At the age of 18, Renata married the vice Consul of Cyprus, a man she met when the family would spend their holidays on the island. Three months into the marriage, though, the husband came out to be gay, and Renata and the family decided she’d go back to Cairo. Renata, the sisters, and their father traveled around Europe to invalidate the marriage. Finally, the annulment was obtained in Paris, and Renata could start a new life.

The sisters were living in a convent in France when the war broke out; this way they avoided being taken into a concentration camp. While in Egypt with his wife, Franca’s father was able to get the sisters exchanged with a French family, and they ended up in Turin, where many of the Liberation events took place. 

Today, Franca is 95, and the memory of those days is still vivid and emotional. She decided to write them down so everyone would know how that day unfolded.

April 24th, 1945, was a beautiful spring day after a long, cold winter without heating and practically no food. I went to school in the morning. I came home for lunch, and in the afternoon I got ready to do my homework with my friend Marie Louisa, who lived a fifteen-minute walk from my house at the corner of a square, a few yards away from a church.

I was enjoying my walk, and when I was near the church, I noticed Arturo on its steps, half hiding near the door. Arturo was my upstairs neighbor on the eighth floor of our apartment building. He was fourteen years old, a few months younger than me, which made me treat him as if I were his older sister. I shouted at him, “Arturo, what on earth are you doing up there?” He showed me a rifle.

He cried out loud, “I’m defending Italy from those bandits of partisans!” I asked him, “What do you mean? The partisans are up in the mountains! Who gave you the gun?” He put the heavy gun on his shoulder and answered proudly: Le camicie nere!” (the Fascists). I shouted back, “You better go home now, before your mother finds out what you are up to. This time you won’t be able to sit for a century!”

And with that, I went on to Marie Luisa. We were both immersed in our homework when the phone rang. It was my older sister, Orietta, who, with a panicked voice, urged me to go home at once. I started walking home, and just a few yards from Marie Luisa’s house, I heard a couple of gunshots. I took shelter behind a wall. When I no longer heard gunshots, I came out and proceeded toward the church.

At first, I saw a bundle on the floor by the church steps. Then I realized it was Arturo. I ran to him and, at the same time, the priest came to me. Arturo did not answer when I called his name.

The priest ordered me to run home, which I did. I must have arrived there in five minutes.

Franca Bannerman today (Photo courtesy of Franca Bannerman)

As I came out of the elevator, Orietta was waiting for me. I fell into her arms. She could not stop asking me, “What happened, what happened?” After a drink of water, I eventually told her what had happened. She ran up the stairs, to Mrs. Valentini, the mother of Arturo, to tell her about her son. Three weeks later, we went to his funeral. But that is another story.

We, three sisters, locked the door of the apartment and tried to listen to the news on the radio, but all we could hear were fascist marching songs. From time to time, we could hear gunshots and shouting.

The next day, the radio stopped playing music and announced the war was over. The Germans had surrendered to the Allies. At first, we could not believe it, but when we heard the shouts of joy coming from most of the apartments, we too started shouting, jumping with joy, and embracing each other. Just then, on April 25th, 1945, the phone rang. It was my older brother, Michele, who told us not to leave the apartment because there was a lot of fighting in the streets, fascists against partisans. Partisans against Fascists, neighbors against neighbors.

We could see what went on in our Corso Lecce from our seventh-floor balcony. There were old and young women with their heads black because they were covered with tar. They were kicked, dragged, and screamed for help. The partisans were doing that to them because they believed those women were fascists or German sympathizers. People were fighting from houses and balconies. Ours was the only skyscraper in the neighborhood at the time. It had eight floors… We were so high up on the seventh floor that we thought no bullets could reach us, but we could observe. This fighting and vendetta went on for five days. Until the Americans came.

I remember Colonel Fiore from New York did govern Torino until 1946. A sad atmosphere was all over the city and countryside. Jewish people were starting to come back from concentration camps. We could not believe what they told us and what they went through. 

If you look at the pictures in the news that day, April 25, 1945, you will see complete strangers kissing and embracing joyfully in the streets of New York. On April 25, 1945, in the North of Italy – in Torino, certainly — there was no peace.

Grazie a un evento organizzato dal Comites SF, gli italiani e gli italo-americani di San Francisco martedì 25 aprile potranno commemorare la fine della seconda guerra mondiale e la Liberazione dell’Italia dai nazisti.

Il Giorno della Liberazione fu l’apice del movimento partigiano, nato nel 1943, che riunì tutti gli attivisti antifascisti italiani di diversa estrazione – inclusi operai, contadini, studenti – che combattevano sia contro il regime fascista che contro l’occupazione nazista. Quel giorno della primavera del 1945, il Comitato Nazionale di Liberazione dell’Alta Italia (CLNAI), organizzazione politica rappresentativa della Resistenza italiana, annunciò un’insurrezione popolare e uno sciopero generale contro l’occupazione nazista e il regime fascista. La cattura e la morte di Benito Mussolini divennero il simbolo della fine dei tempi bui, poiché molti nel nord Italia furono liberati: prima Bologna, poi Milano, poi Torino e Venezia. L’anno successivo, il 22 aprile, il governo italiano stabilì che il 25 aprile sarebbe diventato festa nazionale.

Paola Tonelli e Sonia Alioto, rappresentanti Comites a capo dei gruppi Comunità e Tradizioni Italiane, e Impresa e Turismo, hanno raccontato i ricordi di questa giornata: “Questo è un evento molto importante per l’Italia. Segna la fine della guerra, iniziata a Torino e a Milano e proseguita nel resto del Paese. È stato un momento turbolento della nostra storia, caratterizzato dal conflitto tra fascisti e partigiani ma anche da momenti di grande umanità”. 

L’evento di San Francisco coinvolgerà alcuni ristoranti di North Beach con menù speciali per la serata. “Questi ristoratori vogliono mostrare il loro sostegno alla comunità italiana e al Comites; diamo il benvenuto a tutti coloro che vogliono venire a commemorare questo giorno con noi”, hanno proseguito. Maggiori informazioni sono disponibili sul sito web del Comites all’indirizzo

Il Club Fugazi è il luogo che ospita un dibattito sui fatti del 1945, con testimonial pronti a portare in scena le proprie storie. Tra loro Franca Bannerman, allora una ragazza di 14 anni, testimone del crollo del fascismo e della Liberazione del Paese. Franca, che vive a San Francisco, è nata il 9 giugno 1929 a Marino, un piccolo paese vicino a Roma. Suo padre era un italiano d’Egitto e sua madre era di Siena. Si erano trasferiti in Italia prima che Mussolini salisse al potere, e suo padre aveva fondato la sua banca. Quando iniziò il regime, traferì tutte le piccole banche in una più grande. Alla fine, come patriota italiano disposto a combattere contro il fascismo, non ebbe altra scelta che tornare in Egitto. Ebbero quattro figli: Orietta, Renata, Michele e Franca. A 18 anni Renata sposò il vice console di Cipro, un uomo che aveva conosciuto quando la famiglia trascorreva le vacanze sull’isola. Tre mesi dopo il matrimonio, però, il marito si dichiarò gay e Renata e la famiglia decisero che sarebbe tornata al Cairo. Renata, le sorelle e il padre dovettero girare per l’Europa per invalidare il matrimonio. Finalmente l’annullamento fu ottenuto a Parigi, e Renata poté ricominciare una nuova vita.

Le sorelle vivevano in un convento in Francia quando scoppiò la guerra; in questo modo evitarono di essere portate in un campo di concentramento. Mentre era in Egitto con la moglie, il padre di Franca riuscì a far scambiare le sorelle con una famiglia francese, che finirono a Torino, dove si svolsero molti degli eventi della Liberazione.

Oggi Franca ha 95 anni e il ricordo di quei giorni è ancora vivo ed emozionante. Ha deciso di scriverne in modo che tutti sappiano come si è svolta quella giornata.

Il 24 aprile 1945 era una bella giornata di primavera dopo un lungo e freddo inverno senza riscaldamento e praticamente senza cibo. Andavo a scuola la mattina. Tornavo a casa per pranzo e nel pomeriggio mi preparavo a fare i compiti con la mia amica Marie Louisa, che abitava a quindici minuti a piedi da casa mia all’angolo di una piazza, a pochi metri da una chiesa.

Mi stavo godendo la passeggiata, e quando fui vicino alla chiesa, vidi Arturo sui suoi gradini, seminascosto vicino alla porta. Arturo era il mio vicino di sopra all’ottavo piano del nostro condominio. Aveva quattordici anni, pochi mesi meno di me, per cui lo trattavo come se fossi sua sorella maggiore. Gli ho gridato: “Arturo, che ci fai lassù?” Mi mostrò un fucile.

Gridò forte: “Sto difendendo l’Italia da quei banditi dei partigiani!” Gli ho chiesto: “Cosa vuoi dire? I partigiani sono in montagna! Chi ti ha dato la pistola? Si mise in spalla il pesante fucile e rispose fiero: “Le camicie nere!” (i fascisti). Ho gridato di rimando: “È meglio che tu vada a casa adesso, prima che tua madre scopra cosa stai combinando. Questa volta non sarai in grado di sederti per un secolo!

E con questo, me ne andai da Marie Louisa. Eravamo entrambe immerse nei compiti quando squillò il telefono. Era mia sorella maggiore, Orietta, che, con voce in preda al panico, mi esortava a tornare subito a casa. Ho iniziato a camminare verso casa e, a pochi metri dalla casa di Marie Louisa, ho sentito un paio di spari. Mi sono riparata dietro un muro. Quando non ho più sentito spari, sono uscita e mi sono diretta verso la chiesa.

All’inizio ho visto un fagotto sul pavimento vicino ai gradini della chiesa. Poi ho capito che era Arturo. Corsi da lui e, nello stesso tempo, venne da me il prete. Arturo non mi rispose quando lo chiamai. Il prete mi ordinò di correre a casa, cosa che feci. Devo esserci arrivata in cinque minuti.

Quando sono uscita dall’ascensore, Orietta mi stava aspettando. Sono caduta tra le sue braccia. Non riusciva a smettere di chiedermi: “Cosa è successo, cosa è successo?”. Dopo un sorso d’acqua, alla fine le raccontai cosa era successo. Corse su per le scale, dalla signora Valentini, la madre di Arturo, per raccontarle del figlio. Tre settimane dopo andammo al suo funerale. Ma questa è un’altra storia.

Noi, tre sorelle, abbiamo chiuso a chiave la porta dell’appartamento e abbiamo cercato di ascoltare le notizie alla radio, ma tutto ciò che riuscivamo a sentire erano le marce fasciste. Di tanto in tanto si sentivano spari e urla.

Il giorno successivo, la radio smise di trasmettere musica e annunciò che la guerra era finita. I tedeschi si erano arresi agli Alleati. All’inizio non potevamo crederci, ma quando abbiamo sentito le grida di gioia provenire dalla maggior parte degli appartamenti, anche noi abbiamo iniziato a gridare, a saltare di gioia e ad abbracciarci. Proprio in quel momento, il 25 aprile 1945, squillò il telefono. Era mio fratello maggiore, Michele, che ci diceva di non uscire di casa perché c’era molta rissa per le strade, fascisti contro partigiani. Partigiani contro fascisti, vicini contro vicini.

Potevamo vedere cosa succedeva nel nostro Corso Lecce dal nostro balcone del settimo piano. C’erano donne vecchie e giovani con la testa nera perché erano coperte di catrame. Sono stati presi a calci, trascinati, gridavano aiuto. I partigiani gli facevano così perché credevano che quelle donne fossero fasciste o simpatizzanti tedesche. La gente combatteva dalle case e dai balconi. Il nostro era l’unico grattacielo del quartiere in quel momento. Aveva otto piani… Eravamo così in alto al settimo piano che pensavamo che nessun proiettile potesse raggiungerci, ma potevamo osservare. Questi combattimenti e vendette andarono avanti per cinque giorni. Finché non arrivarono gli americani.

Ricordo che il colonnello Fiore di New York governò Torino fino al 1946. Un’atmosfera triste regnava in città e campagna. Gli ebrei cominciavano a tornare dai campi di concentramento. Non potevamo credere a quello che ci dicevano e a quello che avevano passato.

Se guardate le immagini nei notiziari di quel giorno, 25 aprile 1945, vedrete perfetti sconosciuti che si baciano e si abbracciano gioiosamente per le strade di New York. Il 25 aprile 1945, nel Nord Italia – e sicuramente a Torino – non c’era pace.

Receive more stories like this in your inbox