Rudolph Valentino in the lobby card for The Delicious Little Devil (Copyrighted work available under Creative Commons agreement. Author: Universal Picture. Public Domain)

When legendary silent film star Rudolph Valentino died at age 31 on August 23, 1926 in New York City from a perforated ulcer, the announcement sparked scenes of mass hysteria. A hundred thousand mourners lined up the streets outside the funeral home, hoping to catch a final glimpse of their idol in his coffin. As soon as the doors of the funeral parlor opened, the inconsolable fans surged and a riot erupted. “The rioting was without precedent, both in numbers concerned and in the behavior of the crowd, which in larger part consisted of women and girls,” reported the New York Times.

The reaction was extreme. Within days, Rudolph’s sudden death caused several women to commit suicide in grief.

The memorial service in Manhattan was held at the end of August at St. Malachy’s Church on W. 49th St. attended by devastated fans and Hollywood notables including Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks, and Gloria Swanson. You could see people weeping, fainting at the casket of the Italian-born actor.

His body was transported back to Hollywood where another star-studded funeral took place at the Good Shepherd Church on September 14. Thousands of devoted fans lined the streets in Beverly Hills and Hollywood to watch the funeral procession.

Rudolph made female hearts flutter in silent films such as The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, The Sheik, Blood and Sand, The Eagle, and his final film, The Son of the Sheik. He had been the world’s first male sex symbol, the original “Latin Lover,” a title invented for him by Hollywood moguls. 

Rudolph Valentino’s birthplace, in Castellaneta (Copyrighted work available under Creative Commons agreement. Author: Pietro d’Ambrosio. License: CC-BY 2.5)

In the beginning, he was cast as the handsome but sleazy villain. But June Mathis, one of the top screenwriters for Metro, which would become part of MGM, perceived his potential as a leading man, as we see in Rex Ingram’s The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. The scene of Valentino dancing the tango made the rakishly handsome Italian an overnight sensation.

Writer June Mathis also donated her family crypt for Valentino who was never moved to a new location. He is interred next to Mathis in the Hollywood Forever Cemetery.

In 2005, Cosimo Fungoso, a gentleman from Castellaneta –Rudy’s birth village in Puglia– started bureaucratic procedures to bring the body of the silent screen heartthrob back to his homeland Italy. He had been trying for years but without results. He officially wrote to President George W. Bush and then to Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi so they could discuss the matter and make the wish come true. “Castellaneta is Rodolfo’s hometown, and here the body would receive a continuous, affectionate pilgrimage,” Fungoso remarked. 

In these pages,  I won’t detail the personal life in America of the Italian-born actor or his film career and Hollywood stardom. I want to celebrate the silent-screen star’s 127th birthday by bringing back to life his early years in Italy and understanding the family he was born into. 

Rudolph was born in Castellaneta at 3 a.m. on May 6, 1895 as Rodolfo Pietro Filiberto Raffaele Guglielmi di Valentina d’Antonguella. His mother, Marie Berthe Gabrielle Barbin, was the daughter of a French engineer who led the construction of three railway viaducts on the Bari-Taranto route. His father, Giovanni Antonio Giuseppe Fedele Guglielmi di Valentina d’Antonguella, was a doctor of veterinary medicine from Martina Franca who took up service in Castellaneta.

The home where he was born is an Art Nouveau building on Via Roma 116 – at the time, Via Commercio 34. In 1933, Cincinnati’s Rudolph Valentino Club had a bronze plaque placed on the house façade that reads: “Rudolph Valentino, a name that in a distant land meant Italic art and beauty.”

Rudolph Valentino in 1919. (Copyrighted work available under Creative Common agreement. Author: Unknown. Public Domain)

“The baby was baptized on May 16 in the local cathedral by the old parish priest Don Giuseppe Scarano. The godparents were maternal relatives,” says Antonio Ludovico, author of a trilogy on Valentino, and founder and director of the Museo Rodolfo Valentino in Castellaneta. The same year in Paris, the Lumière brothers gave birth to the big screen thanks to their revolutionary camera and projector, the Cinématographe.

Mr. Ludovico says that Rudolph’s father also had been a cavalry captain. His family was originally from Rome. Rudy claimed to have noble origins: on the boarding slip for the ocean liner S.S. Cleveland issued in December 1913 he signed “Rudolph of the Guglielmi marquises.” The noble title in his family had to do with the “di Valentina d’Antonguella” part in his full name. 

Valentino had an older brother, Alberto, a younger sister, Maria, and an older sister, Bice, who had died in infancy. Her grave is at the cemetery of Castellaneta.

Maria worked as a seamstress in Paris for Paul Poiret. (By the way, Poiret was the favorite clothing designer of Natacha Rambova, a famed costume designer and Egyptologist who was Rudy’s second wife.) Then Maria moved to Turin, where she died in 1969.

At age 4, little Rodolfo moved with his family to a neoclassical building at Via Regina Margherita 28, in front of a large garden that previously belonged to Prince De Mari, the last lord of Castellaneta. 

In 1905 the family moved to the city of the two seas: Taranto, in a lovely apartment at Via Massari 12. The building overlooked the Mar Grande basin. 

“After completing elementary school, between 1905 and 1906, Rodolfo attended the first year of what then was called the commercial secondary school. But he had poor results,” says Ludovico. “He had a keen intelligence, but he was a little brat.” With his friends, he would perform acrobatic, dangerous jumps, especially over the back of donkeys and the peasants’ horses. “There are several anecdotes about the pranks of little Rodolfo; some were invented from scratch, but all highlight his marked vivacity and his intolerance of rules.”

Rodolfo was 11 when his father died at 53 from the after-effects of malaria contracted during his virology research. For years he has been carrying out experiments. In 1901 he published a study titled Malaria Among Cattle in the Taranto Countryside, and in 1904 published Another Case of Equine Malaria.

Rudolph with Natacha Rambova (Copyrighted work available under Creative Commons agreement. Author: James Abbe – Valentino by Alan Arnold (1954) – at the Internet Archive Stars of the Twenties. Public Domain)

His dad’s passing profoundly influenced the wild kid who adored his parents. He thought of their mutual love as “something very sweet and deep,” as he later wrote. They were a living example of the eternal love he met in childhood. 

At that point, his mother enrolled Rodolfo in a boarding school for orphans of the medical professionals. “It was located in Perugia,” says Ludovico. “Although not a military school, it borrowed formalities, uniforms and pedagogy from the military world. The discipline was strict and punishments harsh: “I often broke the rules and they locked me in prison and gave me only bread and water,” wrote Valentino. In Perugia, he tried cigarettes for the first time, soon becoming a heavy smoker.

Rodolfo did not do well at the Perugia school known as Collegio della Sapienza. He felt isolated and showed his “quarrelsome nature.” There, some of his peers bullied him for his pointy ears. They would call him “the bat.” 

“After three stormy years, Rodolfo was expelled from the Collegio for indiscipline, presumably for having stabbed a comrade who mocked him,” says Ludovico. Rodolfo’s mother was in shock. But she found the courage to ask the school principal for a favor. Her son needed to still wear collegiate clothing to take the competition exam to enter a naval military school in Venice as Rudy has a fondness for ships and machines.

Despite his impatience with military discipline, “the teenager Rodolfo Guglielmi dreamed of glory and military honor.” He spent a short period in Venice, where he would pass the written admission test. But he paradoxically failed the physical test since his chest circumference was two centimeters narrower than was necessary. “For Rodolfo, it was a devastating blow,” says Ludovico. “I was fifteen and a complete failure,” Rudy wrote in his book My Private Diary, published in 1929. 

He wanted to die because he felt humiliated. “I came to the tragic conclusion that there was no place in the world for someone like me. I had abandoned the universe of dreams only to discover that reality didn’t want to know about me.” 

On October 20, 1910, he was next sent to the Royal Practical School of Agriculture “Bernardo Marsano” in Sant’Ilario in Nervi, near Genoa. In enrolling Rodolfo in the new school, his mother recommended that the director of the institute employ the utmost severity toward her son, hoping he would change. 

The school in Genova worked a kind of miracle. It boasted a curriculum that was more suited to his temperament. Rodolfo became one of the best students. He had the best grades in all primary subjects, including Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Mineralogy, Chemistry, Italian, English and Spanish. The only drawback was the usual condotta or behavior at school.

Valentino wrote that he went to study agronomy because Italy needed farmers more than sailors or soldiers, as his mother told him in an attempt to revive his enthusiasm. “I couldn’t disappoint her after she had shown me so much loyalty and respect. I faced the School of Agriculture with determination (…). I could not fail, and I did not fail …”

Valentino in 1925 (Copyrighted work available under Creative Commons agreement. Author:Daniel Blum – Public Domain)

The time spent in Sant’Ilario, Genoa, represents a decisive turning point in his life. Rudy once told a friend that his success had its origins in Sant’Ilario. There, he earned a diploma in scientific agriculture that later allowed him to become a gardener on the Long Island estate of Cornelius Bliss. That happened six months after his arrival in New York, where he stayed in the Italian Quarter and worked several menial jobs. At the same time, he tried to improve his English. 

After graduating, he returned to Taranto to pack his bags and leave for the city of dreams, Paris, where he tried his luck as a dancer. “He stayed for a few weeks but then finished up the money his mother had given him. But in Paris, he understood that ‘Italy was too small’ for his ambitions,” says Ludovico. 

He ran to Paris and felt like he was in heaven. “I had freed myself from that feeling of suffocation. The boulevards offered me an abundance of treasures and beauties. I was the lord of Creation (…)”. But the money didn’t last long, nor did the whimsical boulevards’ generosity. He ceased to be the lord of Creation and went back to desperation. After Paris, he went to Monte Carlo to play at the casino. His life was full of bitterness but guided by the same spirit of adventure he had when he fled to Paris. “But Monte Carlo treated me much worse than Paris,” he wrote. 

Back in Taranto, Rodolfo felt even more suffocated than before. The town was too restrictive. He had to leave again. Otherwise, he would have fallen into the abyss of depression.

 Only America could welcome his dreams. Only in America he could breathe, he wrote.

Rudy’s paternal relatives supported his will to leave as “they feared Rodolfo with his reckless behavior could further dishonor the Guglielmi family,” says Ludovico. “The decision was hastened by the fact that Rodolfo got a girl pregnant.”

At age 18, on December 8, 1913, Rodolfo boarded the S.S. Cleveland and sailed to New York City, happily paying extra for a first-class cabin. He had 4,000 dollars with him. “One day, they would be proud of me. (…) It was my mother who put together the money needed for my departure. It was my mother who instilled not only new courage but new ideals in my heart,” he wrote. 

In August 1914, eight months after his departure, the girl gave birth to Giovanni, who will become his brother Alberto’s son”, says Mr. Ludovico.

On a sunny September 1923, the Hollywood star Rudolph Valentino returned to visit his birthplace. He drove his blue Bugatti as the village kids clung to the car’s bumper. Everyone wanted a ride. 

“The fabled, sung, dreamed and cherished place! In fact, I believe that the place of birth is above all a sentimental matter,” he wrote in My Private Diary. 

He went back to the “square, white house where I was born, I got a knot in my throat and a veil clouded my eyes (…)”. 

On his Italian visit, Rudolph tried to adopt Giovanni, the son of Alberto and Ada Guglielmi. According to some, Giovanni was the natural son of Rudolph. But Alberto rejected the request. Alberto was working in the city hall of Campobasso as municipal secretary.

Three years later, from February to June 1926, Alberto, his wife Ada and Giovanni were guests of Rudolph Valentino in his legendary Falcon Lair villa in Hollywood.

Valentino died quickly two months later. His brother Alberto moved to Los Angeles to contest the settlement of Valentino’s estate and protect the family’s interests. “He opened a long legal dispute (until 1960) with George Ullman, executor of Valentino’s will,” says Mr. Ludovico. 

 “Alberto underwent various surgeries to look like Valentino and replace him in the movies but ended up working as an auditor at United Artists. He passed away on June 4, 1981, in Los Angeles.”

Also, Giovanni settled in California and became an award-winning sound engineer known as Jean G. Valentino. He had two daughters, Sylvia and Jeanette.

“My heart is just overflowing with happiness,” said Sylvia Valentino Huber in 2014 when the mayor of Castellaneta awarded her the honorary citizenship of the Puglia village. Sylvia lives in Santa Monica. 

Rudolph Valentino with his dog (Copyrighted work available under Creative Commons agreement. Author: unknown/ Public Domain)

Valentino possessed the “S” factor, wrote Susan King from the LA Times years ago. “He was sexy, sensuous, smoldering and swarthy”.

Indeed, he had that screen magnetism, and an iconic style. But he was also passionate about art and loved to write. He cultivated beauty like an aesthete. He was somehow meditative. 

His collection of poems, DayDreams, sold in 1923 half a million copies. When he penned the book, he was waging a “one-man strike” against his studio, demanding higher quality production standards for his films. His wife Natacha Rambova alleged that those “psychic” poems had been dictated to him by his own spirit guides, in a trance, through automatic writing. One poem invokes “mercy” for those who only see “gray skies” where all around is “celestial glory.” 

Your glory is eternal, Rudolph Valentino. Happy birthday, real charmer!  

Quando la leggendaria star del cinema muto Rodolfo Valentino morì a 31 anni il 23 agosto 1926 a New York City per un’ulcera perforata, l’annuncio scatenò scene di isteria di massa. Centomila persone si misero in fila nelle strade davanti alle pompe funebri, sperando di dare un ultimo sguardo al loro idolo nella bara. Non appena le porte della camera ardente si aprirono, i fan inconsolabili si riversarono e scoppiò una rivolta. “La rivolta era senza precedenti, sia per il numero di persone coinvolte che per il comportamento della folla, che in gran parte era composta da donne e ragazze”, riportò il New York Times.

La reazione fu estrema. Nel giro di pochi giorni, la morte improvvisa di Rodolfo causò il suicidio di diverse donne in preda al dolore.

Il servizio commemorativo a Manhattan si tenne alla fine di agosto nella chiesa di St. Malachy sulla 49esima strada a cui parteciparono fan devastati e personalità di Hollywood tra cui Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks e Gloria Swanson. Si poteva vedere la gente piangere, svenire davanti alla bara dell’attore di origini italiane.
Il suo corpo fu trasportato di nuovo a Hollywood dove un altro funerale pieno di stelle ebbe luogo alla Chiesa del Buon Pastore il 14 settembre. Migliaia di fan devoti si allinearono per le strade di Beverly Hills e Hollywood per assistere al corteo funebre.

Rodolfo fece battere i cuori delle donne in film muti come I quattro cavalieri dell’apocalisse, Lo sceicco, Sangue e sabbia, L’aquila e il suo ultimo film, Il figlio dello sceicco. Era stato il primo sex symbol maschile del mondo, l’originale “Latin Lover”, un titolo inventato per lui dai magnati di Hollywood.

All’inizio, era stato scritturato come il bello ma cattivo. Ma June Mathis, fra le migliori sceneggiatrici della Metro, che sarebbe diventata parte della MGM, percepì il suo potenziale come protagonista, come vediamo in I quattro cavalieri dell’apocalisse di Rex Ingram. La scena di Valentino che balla il tango fece diventare l’italiano, così bello e affascinante, un successo immediato.

La scrittrice June Mathis donò anche la sua cripta di famiglia a Valentino che però non venne mai stato spostato in una nuova posizione. È sepolto accanto alla Mathis nell’Hollywood Forever Cemetery.

Nel 2005, Cosimo Fungoso, un signore di Castellaneta – il paese natale di Valentino in Puglia – ha iniziato le procedure burocratiche per riportare il corpo del rubacuori del cinema muto nella sua patria italiana. Erano anni che ci provava, ma senza risultati. Ha anche scritto ufficialmente al presidente George W. Bush e poi al primo ministro Silvio Berlusconi perché discutessero della questione e realizzassero il desiderio. “Castellaneta è la città natale di Rodolfo, e qui la salma riceverebbe un continuo, affettuoso pellegrinaggio”, evidenziava Fungoso.

In queste pagine, non descriverò in dettaglio la vita personale in America dell’attore di origine italiana, né la sua carriera cinematografica e la celebrità di Hollywood. Voglio celebrare il 127° compleanno della star del cinema muto facendo rivivere i suoi primi anni in Italia e capire la famiglia in cui è nato.

Rodolfo nacque a Castellaneta alle 3 del mattino del 6 maggio 1895 come Rodolfo Pietro Filiberto Raffaele Guglielmi di Valentina d’Antonguella. Sua madre, Marie Berthe Gabrielle Barbin, era figlia di un ingegnere francese che diresse la costruzione di tre viadotti ferroviari sulla tratta Bari-Taranto. Suo padre, Giovanni Antonio Giuseppe Fedele Guglielmi di Valentina d’Antonguella, era un medico veterinario di Martina Franca che prese servizio a Castellaneta.

La casa dove nacque è un edificio in stile liberty in via Roma 116 – all’epoca via Commercio 34. Nel 1933, il Rudolph Valentino Club di Cincinnati fece apporre sulla facciata della casa una targa di bronzo che recita: “Rodolfo Valentino, un nome che in una terra lontana ha significato arte e bellezza italica”.

“Il bambino fu battezzato il 16 maggio nella cattedrale locale dal vecchio parroco don Giuseppe Scarano. I padrini erano parenti materni”, racconta Antonio Ludovico, autore di una trilogia su Valentino, nonché fondatore e direttore del Museo Rodolfo Valentino di Castellaneta. Lo stesso anno, a Parigi, i fratelli Lumière diedero vita al grande schermo grazie alla loro rivoluzionaria cinepresa e proiettore: il Cinematografo.

Il signor Ludovico racconta anche che il padre di Rodolfo era stato capitano di cavalleria. La sua famiglia era originaria di Roma. Rudy sosteneva di avere origini nobili: sulla carta d’imbarco del transatlantico S.S. Cleveland del dicembre 1913 si firmò “Rudolph dei marchesi Guglielmi”. Il titolo nobiliare nella sua famiglia aveva a che fare con la parte “di Valentina d’Antonguella” nel suo nome completo.

Valentino aveva un fratello maggiore, Alberto, una sorella minore, Maria, e una sorella maggiore, Bice, morta nell’infanzia. La sua tomba è al cimitero di Castellaneta.
Maria lavorò come sarta a Parigi per Paul Poiret. (A proposito, Poiret era lo stilista preferito di Natacha Rambova, una famosa costumista ed egittologa che fu la seconda moglie di Rudy). Poi Maria si trasferì a Torino, dove morì nel 1969.

All’età di 4 anni, il piccolo Rodolfo si trasferì con la famiglia in un palazzo neoclassico in via Regina Margherita 28, di fronte a un grande giardino che prima apparteneva al principe De Mari, ultimo signore di Castellaneta.

Nel 1905 la famiglia si trasferì nella città dei due mari: Taranto, in un grazioso appartamento in via Massari 12. L’edificio si affacciava sul bacino del Mar Grande.
“Terminate le scuole elementari, tra il 1905 e il 1906, Rodolfo frequentò il primo anno di quello che allora si chiamava il liceo commerciale. Ma ebbe scarsi risultati”, racconta Ludovico. “Aveva un’intelligenza spiccata, ma era un po’ monello”. Con i suoi amici si esibiva in salti acrobatici e pericolosi, soprattutto sul dorso degli asini e dei cavalli dei contadini. “Ci sono diversi aneddoti sugli scherzi del piccolo Rodolfo; alcuni sono stati inventati di sana pianta, ma tutti evidenziano la sua spiccata vivacità e la sua insofferenza alle regole”.

Rodolfo aveva 11 anni quando suo padre morì a 53 anni per i postumi della malaria contratta durante le sue ricerche di virologia. Per anni aveva condotto esperimenti. Nel 1901 pubblicò uno studio intitolato Malaria tra i bovini della campagna tarantina, e nel 1904 pubblicò un altro caso di malaria equina.

La scomparsa del padre influenzò profondamente il ragazzo indomito che adorava i suoi genitori. Pensava al loro amore reciproco come a “qualcosa di molto dolce e profondo”, come scrisse più tardi. Erano un esempio vivente dell’amore eterno che aveva conosciuto nell’infanzia.

A quel punto, sua madre iscrisse Rodolfo in un collegio per orfani di medici. “Si trovava a Perugia”, racconta Ludovico. “Pur non essendo una scuola militare, mutuava dal mondo militare formalità, uniformi e pedagogia”. La disciplina era severa e le punizioni dure: “Infrangevo spesso le regole e mi chiudevano in prigione e mi davano solo pane e acqua”, scrive Valentino. A Perugia, provò per la prima volta le sigarette, diventando presto un fumatore accanito.

Rodolfo non andò bene nella scuola di Perugia conosciuta come Collegio della Sapienza. Si sentiva isolato e mostrava la sua “natura rissosa”. Lì, alcuni dei suoi coetanei lo maltrattavano per le sue orecchie a punta. Lo chiamavano “il pipistrello”.
“Dopo tre anni burrascosi, Rodolfo fu espulso dal Collegio per indisciplina, presumibilmente per aver accoltellato un compagno che lo derideva”, racconta Ludovico. La madre di Rodolfo era sotto shock. Ma trovò il coraggio di chiedere un favore al preside della scuola. Suo figlio aveva bisogno di indossare ancora abiti da collegiale per sostenere l’esame di concorso per entrare in una scuola militare navale a Venezia, dato che Rudy aveva una passione per le navi e le macchine.

Nonostante la sua insofferenza per la disciplina militare, “l’adolescente Rodolfo Guglielmi sognava la gloria e l’onore militare”. Trascorse un breve periodo a Venezia, dove superò la prova scritta di ammissione. Ma paradossalmente non superò la prova fisica poiché la sua circonferenza toracica era di due centimetri più stretta del necessario. “Per Rodolfo fu un colpo devastante”, racconta Ludovico. “Avevo quindici anni ed ero un completo fallimento”, scrisse Rudy nel suo libro Il mio diario privato, pubblicato nel 1929.

Voleva morire perché si sentiva umiliato. “Arrivai alla tragica conclusione che non c’era posto nel mondo per uno come me. Avevo abbandonato l’universo dei sogni solo per scoprire che la realtà non voleva saperne di me”.
Il 20 ottobre 1910, venne inviato alla Regia Scuola Pratica di Agricoltura “Bernardo Marsano” a Sant’Ilario di Nervi, vicino a Genova. Nell’iscrivere Rodolfo alla nuova scuola, sua madre raccomandò al direttore dell’istituto di usare la massima severità verso suo figlio, sperando che cambiasse.

La scuola di Genova fece una specie di miracolo. Vantava un programma di studi più adatto al suo temperamento. Rodolfo divenne uno degli studenti migliori. Aveva i migliori voti in tutte le materie primarie, tra cui Agricoltura, Economia agraria, Mineralogia, Chimica, Italiano, Inglese e Spagnolo. L’unico inconveniente era la solita condotta a scuola.
Valentino scrisse che era andato a studiare agronomia perché l’Italia aveva più bisogno di contadini che di marinai o soldati, come gli disse sua madre nel tentativo di ravvivare il suo entusiasmo. “Non potevo deluderla dopo che mi aveva dimostrato tanta lealtà e rispetto. Ho affrontato la Scuola di Agricoltura con determinazione (…). Non potevo fallire, e non ho fallito…”.

Il periodo trascorso a Sant’Ilario, Genova, rappresenta una svolta decisiva nella sua vita. Rudy disse una volta a un amico che il suo successo ebbe origine a Sant’Ilario. Lì ottenne un diploma in agricoltura scientifica che gli permise poi di diventare giardiniere nella tenuta di Long Island di Cornelius Bliss. Questo avvenne sei mesi dopo il suo arrivo a New York, dove rimase nel quartiere italiano e fece diversi lavori umili. Allo stesso tempo, cercò di migliorare il suo inglese
Dopo il diploma, tornò a Taranto per fare i bagagli e partire per la città dei sogni, Parigi, dove tentò la fortuna come ballerino. “Rimase per qualche settimana, ma poi finì i soldi che gli aveva dato sua madre. Ma a Parigi capì che ‘l’Italia era troppo piccola’ per le sue ambizioni”, racconta Ludovico.
Corse a Parigi e si sentì come in paradiso. “Mi ero liberato da quella sensazione di soffocamento. I boulevard mi offrivano un’abbondanza di tesori e di bellezze. Ero il signore del creato (…)”. Ma il denaro non durò a lungo, né la generosità dei viali capricciosi. Cessò di essere il signore del Creato e tornò alla disperazione. Dopo Parigi, andò a Monte Carlo a giocare al casinò. La sua vita era piena di amarezze ma guidata dallo stesso spirito di avventura che aveva quando era fuggito a Parigi. “Ma Monte Carlo mi ha trattato molto peggio di Parigi”, scrisse.

Tornato a Taranto, Rodolfo si sentiva ancora più soffocato di prima. La città era troppo stretta. Doveva andarsene di nuovo. Altrimenti sarebbe caduto nell’abisso della depressione. Solo l’America poteva accogliere i suoi sogni. Solo in America poteva respirare, scrisse.
I parenti paterni di Rudy appoggiarono la sua volontà di partire in quanto “temevano che Rodolfo con il suo comportamento sconsiderato potesse disonorare ulteriormente la famiglia Guglielmi”, racconta Ludovico. “La decisione fu affrettata dal fatto che Rodolfo mise incinta una ragazza”.

A 18 anni, l’8 dicembre 1913, Rodolfo si imbarcò sulla S.S. Cleveland e partì per New York City, pagando felicemente un extra per una cabina di prima classe. Aveva con sé 4.000 dollari. “Un giorno sarebbero stati orgogliosi di me. (…) Fu mia madre a mettere insieme il denaro necessario per la mia partenza. È stata mia madre che ha instillato nel mio cuore non solo un nuovo coraggio, ma anche nuovi ideali”, scrisse.
Nell’agosto 1914, otto mesi dopo la sua partenza, la ragazza diede alla luce Giovanni, che diventerà il figlio di suo fratello Alberto”, racconta il signor Ludovico.

In un settembre soleggiato del 1923, il divo di Hollywood Rodolfo Valentino tornò a visitare il suo luogo di nascita. Guidava la sua Bugatti blu mentre i bambini del villaggio si aggrappano al paraurti dell’auto. Tutti volevano un passaggio.

“Il luogo favoloso, cantato, sognato e amato! In effetti, credo che il luogo di nascita sia soprattutto una questione sentimentale”, scrisse nel mio diario privato. Tornato alla “casa bianca e quadrata dove sono nato, mi è venuto un nodo in gola e un velo mi ha offuscato gli occhi (…)”.

Nella sua visita in Italia, Rodolfo cercò di adottare Giovanni, il figlio di Alberto e Ada Guglielmi. Secondo alcuni, Giovanni era il figlio naturale di Rodolfo. Ma Alberto rifiutò la richiesta. Alberto lavorava nel municipio di Campobasso come segretario comunale.

Tre anni dopo, da febbraio a giugno 1926, Alberto, sua moglie Ada e Giovanni furono ospiti di Rodolfo Valentino nella sua leggendaria villa Falcon Lair a Hollywood.
Valentino morì rapidamente due mesi dopo. Suo fratello Alberto si trasferì a Los Angeles per contestare la liquidazione del patrimonio di Valentino e proteggere gli interessi della famiglia. “Aprì una lunga disputa legale (fino al 1960) con George Ullman, esecutore testamentario di Valentino”, dice il signor Ludovico.
“Alberto si sottopose a vari interventi chirurgici per assomigliare a Valentino e sostituirlo nei film, ma finì per lavorare come revisore alla United Artists. È morto il 4 giugno 1981 a Los Angeles”.

Anche Giovanni si stabilì in California e divenne un premiato ingegnere del suono conosciuto come Jean G. Valentino. Ebbe due figlie, Sylvia e Jeanette.
“Il mio cuore trabocca di felicità”, ha detto Sylvia Valentino Huber nel 2014 quando il sindaco di Castellaneta le conferì la cittadinanza onoraria del paese pugliese. Sylvia vive a Santa Monica.
Valentino possedeva il fattore “S”, ha scritto Susan King del LA Times anni fa. “Era sexy, sensuale, ardente e bruno”.

In effetti, aveva quel magnetismo che buca lo schermo e uno stile iconico. Ma era anche appassionato d’arte e amava scrivere. Coltivava la bellezza come un esteta. Era in qualche modo meditativo.

La sua raccolta di poesie, DayDreams, vendette nel 1923 mezzo milione di copie. Quando scrisse il libro, stava conducendo uno “sciopero solitario” contro il suo studio, per chiedere standard di produzione più elevati per i suoi film. Sua moglie Natacha Rambova sosteneva che quelle poesie “psichiche” gli erano state dettate dai suoi stessi spiriti guida, in trance, attraverso la scrittura automatica. Una poesia invoca “misericordia” per coloro che vedono solo “cieli grigi” dove tutto intorno è “gloria celeste”.

La tua gloria è eterna, Rodolfo Valentino. Buon compleanno, vero seduttore!

Receive more stories like this in your inbox