The Tuscan Muse will take us on a journey among the most interestings facts of Italy. Fitfy things which will follow in three parts.
Trivia is always fun to know, especially about our beloved Italy and always when the trivia is about Tuscany. We love sharing these tidbits with each other, particularly at dinnertime. There is always one person who can top all of us with his knowledge of Italy. Our lead driver, Carlo, is a walking book of knowledge and shares these details with us as we drive along the beautiful Tuscan countryside during our workshops and tours of Tuscany.
1. Italy has three active volcanoes: Vesuvius, Etna, and Stromboli.
2. Italy is often called the Bel Paese, which mean beautiful country.
3. Italy is home to the largest number of UNESCO World Heritage Sites – more than 40.
4. Italy has 20 regions and 6 islands.
5. Italy speaks a national language, which was based on the Tuscan dialect, but each region still speaks its own dialect.
6. The Vatican is a separate sovereign nation, its own country.
7. Italy is slightly larger than Arizona.
8. The thermometer is an Italian invention.
9.The piano hails from Italy.
10. With almost 40 million visitors, Italy is the fourth most visited country in the world.
11. The average Italian consumes 26 gallons of wine a year.
12. The typewriter is an Italian invention.
13. Italy did not become a united country until 1861.
14. The Italian Wolf is considered the national animal of Italy.
15. Italy has over 3,000 museums.