Community

There are few things more enjoyable, or more American, than watching a baseball game on a summer evening. Seattle’s love affair with baseball goes back to the late 1800s. When the Pacific Coast League began in 1903, its members included the …

June 2nd, 1946, seventy-seven years ago, marked a historical moment that Italy celebrates as its National Day. The picture – which later became a “symbol” of the event and was published on Il Nuovo Corriere della Sera – portrays a young woman …

Maestro Carlo Ponti received the “Officer of the Order of the Star of Italy” honor, presented to him by Consul General Raffaella Valentini. At the end of the last concert of the season for the Los Angeles Virtuosi Orchestra last May 12 …

In the sometimes snobbish, often ostentatious world of gourmet food, there are seared foie gras with rhubarb tart, hamachi with sea urchin vinaigrette, and kumamoto oysters with mango sorbet.  And then there’s Italian salami.   Italian salami? How does this processed meat …

Thanks to a COMITES SF-organized event, Italians and Italian-Americans in San Francisco will be able to commemorate the end of World War II and Italy’s liberation from the Nazis on Tuesday, April 25.  Il Giorno della Liberazione was the peak …

“I’ve always been a shy person, but theater helped me open up because it made me feel like I belonged. It became my home and my life.”  Italian actress and comedian Paola Minaccioni took a piece of herself and her life on …

Spring is finally here, and not only per the official calendar but also, and mostly, thanks to warm temperatures and sunny days across the Bay Area and California. With it, there are many events, exhibitions, and special moments: from arts and …

On March 1st, Raffaella Valentini became the new Consul General of Italy in Los Angeles. Born in Rome in 1975, Valentini had her first work experience at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 2003 when she oversaw projects promoted by Italy …

“When I was offered the part, I said yes in less than 24 hours,” well-known actress Patricia Clarkson tells with enthusiasm about the day her agent called her about the possibility to star in the upcoming movie Monica by director Andrea Pallaoro. Clarkson, …

It’s been a busy spring for Michela Tartaglia, whose popular lunch-only eatery, Pasta Casalinga, celebrated its fifth anniversary in March. In a tiny nook with counter space, Tartaglia and her team serve up delicious pasta dishes every day based on what’s fresh …

Word of the Day
Food
Marketplace
In Italian
All Around Italy